Saturday, October 2, 2010

Between two trees

      One of the coolest things I've noticed about the bible is that it begins and ends with trees.  In Genesis, we find a lot of events surrounding the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil.  In Revelation, we are told that those whose robes are washed, are going commune around the Tree of Life.  So in some way we live between these two trees, and I like that.  Not just because I like trees, and they're fun to climb, but because it means that it all things are going to be restored to how they were. 
  
      There are these televangelists I used to see on Daystar sometimes, talking about the end of the world, and how it's all going down.  I don't really care about how close we are getting to the Tree of Life, or how we'll end up there.  I'm more with how many people we can get to that point.  I have a real existential angst about a lot of things in life, I don't really want to make money, and I don't get excited about a lot of things that people do.  I think the only thing that matters is bringing more and more people into the kingdom of God.  In the end, it's really all that's going to matter. 

      I think we should all have an eschatological vision that excites us for heaven, and drives us to bring more and more people along for the ride. In Matthew 19, Jesus speaks about renewing all things, and sometimes that means leaving everything you know, and all your family, because as he says, it's worth it.  It's too bad we don't do this more, I wonder what it would be like if we did sell all our possessions and just follow Jesus.  If we redacted the bible I'm not sure we wouldn't start with that passage. 


Anywho, in my opinion, there's very little that matters in relation to what we do between these two trees, unless it expands the kingdom of God.  I'm excited to speak a bit about the renewal of all things tomorrow when I preach about Jonah. 

No comments:

Post a Comment